Monuments, monasteries, mountains – and plenty more besides…
Discover Buddhist monasteries, hill-tribe settlements, gracious French colonial architecture and rugged mountainous terrain in Laos, which is traversed by the Mekong River. The country boasts a vibrant tapestry of cultures and scenery. Soak it up in the riverside capital, Vientiane, Laos’ largest city – but still one of its prettiest.
Watch the sun set over the Mekong River, hit the Morning Market, admire Buddhist and French architecture rubbing shoulders, visit the That Luang monument (said to house the Buddha’s breastbone), gad about on a song-thaew, then explore the surrounding countryside and its tranquil rice paddies.
Some like it hot; if you’re one of them, try laap: a spicy minced-meat salad. A distinctly French influence continues to shine through in the fantastic patisseries found throughout the region – there are also some addictive coffee shops.
If it’s adventure you’re after, don’t miss the once sleepy town of Vang Vieng, which has given itself a makeover as an ecotourism and adventure destination. Go climbing on the vertiginous crags and peaks, or go zip-wiring, canyoning or abseiling off the lofty limestone cliffs. The ultimate test is the Vang Vieng Challenge, a two-day white-knuckle adrenaline-rush offered by adventure tour company Green Discovery. Its highlights include a waterfall abseil, a zip line above the forest and one of the country’s first via ferrata routes. You’ll sleep well, after all that…
© Singapore Airlines
5 Reasons to Fly with Singapore Airlines
1) A Singapore Airlines flight is a vacation in itself! Enjoy over 1,000 entertainment options at your finger tips or savour the best of Asian and International cuisine from the comfort of your industry leading seat.
2) Redeem a $20 Changi Dollar Voucher to spend at Singapore Changi Airport.
3) Break your journey in Singapore with a discounted Singapore Stopover Holiday Package.
4) Alternatively, experience a taste of Singapore with a free Singapore Tour if your transit is more than 5.5 hours.
5) Singapore Airlines is world’s most awarded airline