America’s Cup Sailing, Auckland, North Island
If you’re a fan of the America’s Cup – the world’s oldest and most prestigious sailing regatta – you’ll love being a temporary crew member on one of the original America’s Cup yachts. You’ll hop on board your vessel at Auckland’s Waitemata Harbour for a two-hour stint as a boatsman; the professional crew will be on hand to show you the ropes (literally), and will have you at the helm or hard at work on the grinders in no time. If you’d rather sit back and watch, that’s also allowed; no sailing experience is necessary. The crew will happily answer nautical questions relating to tactics, techniques and principles of sailing the yachts.
– Wear a light jacket and flat shoes
– Get to the meeting point 15 minutes before departure
– Mini boatswain aged 10 and above can come
– You’ll get a full safety briefing before departure
– Life jackets are provided (so are rain jackets, in bad weather)
– Discuss any medical issues when booking; if you’re pregnant, the tour’s not for you (sorry)